Monday, October 12, 2009

some of us take our time to appreciate the moment...


soooooo....I FINISHED!!!! I was very slow, but darn it, I finished.

I have determined I won't do an ocean swim anymore, or at least till I'm in better shape. It wasn't horrible, but not being used to a wetsuit, when I would swim normal, I would tend to start floating really well with my legs but then my top half would be pushed further into the water - leading to involuntary swollowing of water and unappreciated gushes of it up my nose - it didn't taste too good, and didn't feel that great when I started gagging. And they ended up making us swim against the current, so it was very aggrivating when you would look up and think "I swear I have been swimming this entire time, but damn-it if I haven't gotten anywhere". But I took my time so I wouldn't get completely worn out. I realized the best progress I made was laying on my back doing a backstroke, so that's what I did most of the time. There was one point that I was basically doing a sprint, but it wasn't encouraged by my wanting to hurry up and get done, it was encouraged by my suddenly kicking something pretty solid and heavy...and it wasn't a person because no one was around me (I was at the back of the pack with all the stragglers). Needless to say my strokes turned into propeller (sp?) mode and started taking off...and the lifeguards started looking at me pretty funny because I'm sure it looked like I was panicing and flailing my arms everywhere. There were dolphins all around us the entire time, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of those either because they stayed on the outter side of everyone and didn't come thru the middle. Anyhow, the rest of the time I would just lie on my back and look at the clouds and the moon that was still out and think to myself "it's a beautiful day, it's a beautiful day, it's a beautiful day" over and over again, so I didn't think "what the hell am I doing, what the hell am I doing". So then I was finally around the last bouy and I got to the beach...then the transition was running through about 100 yards of all sand - very tiring - and then putting my sneakers on to do about a 1/4 mile run to the actual transition area - what a bummer, can this count as part of our 3 mile run PLEASE?!

So I got to the transition area, not many spectators were left, because like I said I was with the stragglers. But the ones that were there were very encouraging, and I was still running, so I figured I was doing pretty well.
Next up, the 15 mile bike. Rip the wetsuit off, clean the snad off my feet, throw some socks on, then the sneakers, put my helmet on, and we're off. Oh, wait a minute, on the way out it was a wave and a hello to all those who were now RETURNING from their 15 mile bike...awesome! But I still mounted up and took off. Well, I think it's best described as a nice little stroll through the town of Lewes DE. There were moments that I got some umph in me to do some good sprints, but other than that it was a "oh, that's a pretty house; aw look at the beautiful stream; wow, I'm all by myself, no one in front - behind - or beside of me; thank you Mr. police officer for helping to direct traffic so I don't get hit, and by the way, no worries because there aren't many people behind me - you will be off your feet soon". But, again, I took my time, doing what I knew I could do so my thighs wouldn't tighten up and that I could still function for the dreaded run. I eventually passed 2 people, they were old women, but I passed them...EAT MY DUST! So I'm on my way back in on the last stretch of the bike, and I knew this because it was the main road we started on...and there they were...bastards...the people who were passing me with their bikes on the back of their cars - WHAT?! You're done already?! AND you're already leaving?! So I thought "That's cool...I just took my time so I can take it all in, you people don't know how to appreciate the moment." So I got back to the transition area, and again there were few spectators but they were very encouraging still. I pulled up to my transition spot and it was very easy to find - it's that one open spot right there because everyone elses bikes are there already - but cool, thanks for making it easy to find guys, that helped! So, take the helmet off, strap the number belt on, and wait - I hear someone calling my name - it was Nick cheering me on. He had already finished everything, so he was waiting on me to get back...I love him, but I did have a moment of "thanks honey, now can I kick you cause I have another freakin 3 miles ahead of me". But I was off - with some very tight and tired legs.

So now the run....When I first left the transition area, there was a miracle waiting for me - AHHHHH, my first sip of water! yes, that's right, I forgot to fill my water bottle up that I had on my bike, so I had gone the entire time so far without a sip of water...it was quite refreshing. But this time there were a lot of spectators around - they were all by the food tent, because they were all done, so they were cheering me on - thanks guys! So I take off and I'm goooooiiinnnggg vvveeeerrrrryyyyy slllllooooowwwww. This is probably the first time in the entire thing that I said "what the hell am I doing?" But I kept going. Now, during the entire run, I came up with a system, which I felt was pretty efficient. I would set landmarks within sight distance of what I would run to, then when I got there I would decide which landmark I would walk to, then I got there and I found one that I would run to, etc etc. It worked pretty well actually, and sometimes I would get to where I was supposed to run to but I would say "nah, go a little further". And there it was, the 1 mile mark..."I hate you, you were supposed to be sooner" I thought. So I continued my method that I had set up and there was the 2 mile mark..."hey, not bad, you came sooner than I thought". And then I could hear the music of the finish area...I'm within a close enough distance, awesome. Eventually that music went away, and I got a little worried like "wow, did I take a wrong turn and go somewhere further away?" No, Later I found out it was just cause they were shutin everything down, and I thought "it's cool guys, I have the rocky song in my head, I don't need your music anyhow". So anyhow, I finally reach the turn that I knew was taking me back into the finish, about 1/4 mile left...and I said "JUST RUN!" So I listened to myself and I did, I just ran, like Forrest Gump - but maybe not quite as fast. THERE IT IS!!!! The finishe line, I see it, it's right there, I'm on the path that takes me to the finish line! And then, I almost started crying...partly because I was happy to be done, partly because I was proud of myself for finishing, and partly because I have the best husband and friend. He saw me and started running towards me, he got to me and said "let's go babe, you're almost there", and he started running with me. I thought "HOLD THE WATERWORKS, HOLD THE WATERWORKS...DON'T DO IT NOW BECAUSE YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO SEE THE FINISH LINE WHEN YOU CROSS IT!". Again, there weren't a lot of people there anymore, but the ones who were there were very encouraging. I passed the finish line and it was like I couldn't stop running, I ran all the way to the end of the area to the people that give you water and I was like "oh, I guess I better stop, what the hell am I thinking, you just ran about 20 unnecessary yards - you over achiever, you".
So there, I was done! I finished! Alright, time to get my shit and get outta here. HA! I got to my stuff, and almost all of the stations where people had their stuff were already broken down and getting packed up. Whatever, I finished. I may have been 401 out of 408 - and the 7 after me could have potentially been the 2 old women I passed and 5 diasabled people (not knocking them, I just know there were some), but I finished!

In all, it was a great experience. Would I do it again? Absolutely! Do I plan to improve, Absolutely! And I appreciate all the support I have recieved from all of my friends and family! It helped more than you can imagine!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - congratulations. I KNEW you could do it and I am soooo very proud of you! Way to go Melissa! I am telilng you - they are addictive. You might be hooked and btw - you look great. Keep up the good work sister! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I wish I could have been your photographer!

    ReplyDelete